Pedestrian death in Rexburg crosswalk



It is another mournful day at Rexburg, ID as another pedestrian has died and another is injured. Local news 8 and news channel 6 report on the incident. Rexburg is experiencing growing pains and it doesn't help that most of us are egotistical and self-absorbed. I am not just flying by the seat of my pants when I say this either. There is a reason why our country drives slower than other countries and still has more accidents and deaths than others. We have got to change our way of thinking. Driving a motor vehicle is a substantial and consequential PRIVILEGE. I am not singling any one out. I am the first to step up and say that I need to be more attentive and rush less. How did we become so self centered that we think it is OK to risk the lives of others around us to get to a destination 15 seconds faster or a minute? Is some body's life worth being on time? Are you willing to give up your life or your working hips and legs for some one who is a couple of minutes late for work or class? Think about it.

I sat and pondered for a few minutes about the anguish and turmoil such an accident would cause in my life from either side of an accident. Personally I don't think I could have the strength to bear the burden of taking an other's life, or loosing one close to me. Take a few moments the next time you go to start the car and see how it effects your driving.

Definition of drive: operate and control the direction and speed of a motor vehicle.
hmmmm... no where in that definition do I see the words texting, ipod, music, cell phone, or earphones. So I guess driving is called driving for a reason.... [sarcasm]
If you think you are one of those people who are good enough to drive and try to do something else you are wrong.

Please, from the bottom of my heart, drive carefully. Use your God given, state authorized privilege to drive wisely and make the world a better place starting with the one person you really have control over, yourself. You can make a difference!

No comments: