Surviving the snow

Photos from 01/14/09

I had some time in between classes today so I was able to take a few pictures. It was fun and really cold after about 30 minutes. I found a squirrel tearing into some frozen apricots and he was fun to watch.


I like how the trees frame the subject. There is a foreground, horizon, and background. The ravaged apricots can be seen on the ground.

Looking for it's next target! :-) I like the composition of this one.


I think cropping this one in a tall format helps it feel like the squirrel is high up in a tree.

I like how the bottom branch creates a sense of horizon for the squirrel and it leads the eye to the subject. I also like the stance I caught the squirrel in. I am not sure I like the white wood in the picture but I couldn't crop it out without ruining the effect of the branch, so I opted to keep the white wood in.

This is the photo that epitomizes the theme of my photo shoot. I went out with the purpose of photographing a theme of surviving in the cold snow or beauty in the cold. I think this picture represents that theme well.

We have a lot of construction going on at the BYU-I campus and it is inconvenient but as I was walking by one the the piles of construction material and I saw the light shining through and I just had to take a picture of it.

I thought this was a funny site to see. Can you guess why? I have walked by this hundreds of times and this was the first time I saw it and recognized that the stairs sign is the opposite of the stairs. Not critical but I think it is funny.

I have to preface this with the fact that I think Cassie is sooooo cute! I bent down at the end of our bed to pick up something and I looked up and this is what I saw. Hidden behind the Sudoku puzzle book and snuggled in bed under the sheets, winding down to go to sleep.

I adjusted the colors and cropped all of these pictures. On all of the outdoor pictures I wish I had my telephoto lens and my mono pod. I took about 75 pictures and ended up with roughly 10 that were nice. Not bad for a days work but I still have a long ways to go.

My second popular photography magazine came the other day so I am really excited to learn some new things. It has been a lot of fun to get the magazine and I have my parents to thank for that wonderful Christmas gift. I also hope that as I continue to take more pictures and process them that it won't take as long because it took a good amount of time to sort through them and fix them up. Have a great day and thanks for looking. :-)

P.S. please feel free to leave me a comment on what you think. I would love to hear your feedback or suggestions if you have time. Thanks.

No comments: